For better understanding of ceramic coating, it’s necessary to think about it as a simple layer of skin added to your car’s clear coat to protect it. It is a liquid chemical compound that chemically bonds with the vehicle’s factory paint to create a protective layer.
Ceramic coating employs nanotechnology, which entails having some tiny particles that when applied will form an invisible thin layer that is very fine.
The tiny particles are actually meant seal pores of a surface to make it water repellent, have resistance to UV rays, extreme heat, stretches and graffiti.
The layer is fully transparent. The bond formed by the ceramic coating is semi-permanent, meaning that cleaning or rain will not affect the car in the short run; the results last for very many years.
Ceramic coatings will resist water and dirt, and the surfaces are made easy to clean. The hardness of ceramic coating will lead to prevention of marring that will result from washing and swirl marks.
Your vehicle can maintain that showroom quality and cleanliness by applying ceramic coating. This article therefore, provides an overview of how the ceramic car coating is made, and how it works.
How ceramic coating is made and works
There are various types of ceramic coatings. All ceramic coatings are made to ensure high performance layers of oxide that will give solution to friction, insulation, heat wear and corrosion. The various coatings include plasma spray, dry film lubricants, sputter and electromagnetic coating.
Some ceramic coatings are made of silicon carbide, which is diamond like; cerium oxide; and boron nitride. Ceramic coatings are made of a large subspecies that include aluminium oxide, silicon carbide, and chromium oxide.
Having gone through how ceramic car coating is made, it is good to also look at how the ceramic car coating works. The process of ceramic coating may take 1 to 5 days to be completed. The length of time taken will actually depend on the paint, vehicle size, package chosen and professional do it.
Just to recap on what we had earlier stated, the ceramic car coating is not an alternative to the paint protection film; it only provides additional protection to your vehicle’s exterior. Over and above, it helps to keep your car look new.
So, how does the ceramic car coating achieve this?
It simply does so by making your car more resilient and also makes it easier to clean, by doing the following:
- Protecting your vehicle from UV harm/oxidization. A vehicle that is often exposed to the sun will soon begin to oxidize, hence leading to dull and faded paint.
With a car ceramic coating, your vehicle is protected from the ultraviolet rays thus reducing the magnitude of oxidization. This will, in turn, keep your vehicle looking great despite this exposure to the sun. Sun will normally make paint fade and give a car a dull look, because of its ultraviolet rays. Addition of ceramic layer, will reduce oxidation significantly.
- Protecting your vehicle from chemical blemishes and etching. Naturally acidic contaminants can cause chemical staining to your vehicle’s body surface. A protective layer is therefore required in order to keep these contaminants from bonding to your car’s paint.
This is exactly what a ceramic car coating does; it creates a chemically resistant layer which prevents possible bonding between the contaminants and your vehicle’s paint. This, therefore, reinforces your vehicle’s resistance to blemishes and etching.
- Making it easy to clean your vehicle. The ceramic car coating is often hydrophobic, meaning that it is water repellent. Therefore, with the ceramic car coating that is hydrophobic, it will be difficult for mud and spots to bond with the car’s paint.
During washing, it will also be easier to remove the contaminants.
- Enhancing Gloss.A good ceramic car coating enhances the depth and clarity of your vehicle’s paint, thus adding to the properties of your vehicle’s reflective features. This, in turn, causes your car paint to pop up with gloss.
The ceramic car coating will eventually add value to your vehicle
It, however, has its own limitations. In as much as you might be having a lot of expectations on the ceramic car coating, there are some of the things it does not do. Some of these include:
- Eliminating the risk of scratches, rock chips or swirl marks. In as much as detailing your vehicle with a ceramic car coating improves its resistance, it is helpful to be alive to the fact that the dangers of scratches, rock chips or swirl marks remain posed. Also, as stated earlier, the ceramic car coating is not a substitute for the paint protection film.
It also does not negate the importance of washing your car in a proper manner. This will help to protect your vehicle from the risk posed by improper washing techniques and automated car washes.
Eliminating the danger of water spotting.The hydrophobic property of ceramic car coating does not completely eliminate the risk posed by water spotting. Some drops of water may be repelled from the surface coated by ceramic coating, while others may bead and remain on the car. This creates a chance for water spotting.
Also, while evaporating, these droplets might leave behind some minerals or dirt, thus creating spots that are visible. It means that water is repelled instantly by using nano ceramic coating. With hydrophobic effect of ceramic coating, water beads up, then rolls off the surface together with mud, grime and other dirt. Removal of any dirt from the surface is therefore made easy.
- Eliminating the importance of washing. The truth of the matter is that if you drive your vehicle, it will get dirty with or without ceramic coating. Applying the ceramic car coating does not eliminate the need to wash your car regularly. It, however, makes it easy to clean your vehicle. It will also reduce the necessity of having to wax your vehicle regularly.
- Ceramic improves Durability. With ceramic coating, there is a bonding of car paint with a car’s molecular structure. This means that there is minimization of external forces and vibrations, which enhances durability.
Read Also: How to Restore Car Headlights With Ceramic Coating
This article, therefore, provides an overview of how the ceramic car coating is made, and how it works. The ceramic car coating does not eliminate the risk of scratches, rock chips and swirl marks. It also does not eliminate the danger of water spotting and at the same time does not eliminate the need to wash your vehicle, though reduces the need for regular waxing.
After all is said and done, the fact that the ceramic car coating adds value to your vehicle cannot be overlooked. It keeps your vehicle glossy and looking like new. This is essential in adding some value to the car.
It is everyone’s desire to have their car looks as good as it was on the day it was bought. There is however solace in the fact that now you can find a product which will make your vehicle easier to clean while protecting it from adverse environmental conditions. With ceramic coatings, your efforts may no longer be frustrated by swirl marks, stains and chips that begin to appear on your car. With this technology, you will no longer have dirt, smut and water spots clutching on the exterior of the vehicle.