Investing in top-notch struts is one of the best things you can do for your vehicle and when talking about good-quality struts, Detroit Axle Strut deserves a spot.
The quality of these struts is pretty good, enough to impress any car owner. Smoothness, comfortability, durability, longevity, installation, price, the following Detroit Axle struts check all the boxes.
Want to know more? Then welcome to this set of Detroit axle strut reviews where you get to know everything from pros to cons so that you can make a wise decision.
Table of Contents
- 1 Detroit Axle Strut Assembly Reviews
- 2 My Opinion About Detroit Axel Struts
- 3 How to Install Detroit Axel Struts on Vehicle
- 4 Comparison to competition
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Final Thoughts
Detroit Axle Strut Assembly Reviews
Here you have designed 3 Detroit Axle Ready Strut review to give you a better understanding of each. From features to cons, everything this covered here, so go through and seal your deal.
1. Detroit Axle Front Struts w/Coil Spring Sway Bar – Best For Money
- It is a set of two front struts which are super easy to install. No more spending hours figuring out the installation. The user manual has everything written in plain and simple words.
- These struts are OE manufactured and exceed the OE standards which showcase the reliability of these struts.
- Comes with Electrophoretic coating which provides protection from corrosion and oxidation.
- The way these struts are constructed is good enough to revive the lost smoothness and suspension of your vehicle.
- These struts come pre-equipped; they are ready to be installed right out of the box.
- They are constructed well and are very reliable. If you can maintain these struts well then you can expect these to last for years.
- For these front struts, you get a 10-year warranty, which is great.
- This Detroit axle is compatible with Chevrolet 2009 to 2016 models and Buike Enclave from 2008 to 2016 models.
- Great product for the money.
- Very stable and comfortable.
- Highly durable and reliable.
- Comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Super easy to install.
- Comes pre-equipped.
- Coated for corrosion and oxidation protection.
- Sway bar links are not as good as expected.
Best for Money: These front struts set isn’t an expensive one, it comes at a very reasonable price. And on top of everything, the low price didn’t cost the quality of these struts.
2. Detroit Axle – Front Struts w/Coil Spring + Rear Shock Absorbers – Best for Compatibility
- These Detroit Axle Front Struts are compatible with a wide range of vehicles such as the Chevrolet Malibu 2008 to 2012. Pontiac G6 2005 to 2010, and Saturn Aura 2007 to 2009.
- This set of struts are super comfortable, install them and you will revive back the lost comfort of your vehicle.
- Constructed heavily with top-notch material for greater reliability. In fact, these struts have gone through fatigue, wear, and fatigue test as well.
- The way these struts are designed they are ready to meet the expectations of foreign and domestic passenger vehicles.
- These struts exceed OE standards and that is a sign of good reliability.
- Installation isn’t a hassle; with the manual guide you should be able to install them pretty easily.
- Both of these struts come pre-assembled, ready to be installed straight out of the box.
- Compatible with a lot of vehicles.
- Easy to install.
- Meets OE standard.
- Comes pre-equipped.
- Stable and comfortable structs.
- Comes with a good warranty.
- Highly durable.
- One user has complained that these struts are squeaky.
Best for Compatibility: You will find these struts suiting a wide range of vehicles. Whether it is Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Saturn aura, these struts suit them all.
3. Detroit Axle – Front Strut w/Coil Spring Assemblies Replacement – Best Overall
- Installing these front struts is a breeze, super simple, and easy. If you even don’t have any experience, with the manual book you can do it easily.
- This Detroit Axle package includes two front struts and every else that will be required, nothing to purchase separately.
- These struts come pre-equipped and ready to be installed straight out of the box.
- Features Electrophoretic coating which protects the struts from oxidation and corrosion.
- Highly stable thanks to each of the coil springs. They revive the lost height of the vehicle and comfort as well.
- Compatible with Chevrolet Silverado 2007 to 2013 and 1500 GMC Sierra.
- The manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty.
- Easy to install struts.
- Comes with everything.
- Highly stable and comfortable.
- Offers good height.
- Oxidation and corrosion protected.
- 10-year warranty.
- One user has found unaligned shock.
Best Overall: Good-quality to a fair price, this front strut spring assembly set checks all the boxes. It is compatible with a decent number of vehicles, is durable enough, increases comfort, and you pay a fair price.
My Opinion About Detroit Axel Struts
The very first thing I want to talk about Detroit Axel struts is, most of their struts are super easy to install.
You won’t have to spend hours figuring what goes where, it doesn’t take more than a few minutes for experienced people to figure how to install it.
Even if someone is new, the user manual would be enough for his/her to install these struts.
One thing that makes installation so easy is, these struts come pre-equipped. There is nothing you need to assemble; they are ready to be fit into the vehicle right out of the box.
Now let’s talk about the performance, it is A1. Not every Detroit Axel delivers top-notch performance some sure lack. But most of them are worth investing in.
These struts can revive the old height of your vehicle and also the suspension you were missing for a while.
Makes the vehicle very comfortable, makes going over rocky, bumpy roads very easy.
Their struts come with everything needed for the installation. Apart from the tools, there aren’t any major things that you will need to buy separately, everything includes in the package.
In terms of durability, these struts are decent. Not super durable and also not fragile. With good maintenance, these should last for a couple of years.
One more impressive feature of Detroit Axel struts is, they come with a coating that provides the struts protection from oxidation and corrosion, this is a nice touch.
All of their products meet OE standards, so you shouldn’t worry much about the quality.
And lastly, these struts don’t cost you an arm and leg, they are priced fairly.
Summary of my opinion about Detroit Axel Struts
To summarize, Detroit Axel struts is a decent product at a decent price.
They are good for the people who don’t want to spend big bucks on suspension but still want something that works great out of the box and is durable enough for everyday use.
Surely there are some drawbacks as well but the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.
All in all my opinion is if your vehicle needs new shocks or strut Detroit Axel struts are a good choice.
Detroit Axel Struts Compatibility
These struts are compatible with Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, and Cadillac vehicles between the years of 1987-2019.
The strut comes with two coil springs, top plates, lower mountings, and camber bolts.
It’s important to note that if you are using this strut on a vehicle that has ABS or airbags then you will need to get the struts without upper mounts that have U brackets because these will interfere with a bag or ABS lines.
In case you have confusion regarding this, make sure to contact with an expert before doing anything on your own.
Design of Detroit Axel Struts
Detroit Axel Struts are designed to be a direct replacement for the stock struts on your vehicle.
They are available in both standard and heavy-duty versions, so you can find the perfect setup for your needs.
The struts are also adjustable, so you can fine-tune their performance to match your driving style and preferences.
And the way they are designed, they revive the lost comfort of your vehicle. Moreover, these struts come with oxidation and corrosion protection coating which does a great job.
Longevity of Detroit Axel Struts
Detroit Axel struts should last upwards of 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. However, even the best parts will eventually need to be replaced.
There isn’t any accurate answer to this, it depends on how well you ride, how often you ride, and how better you maintain those struts.
But with proper care, Detroit Axel struts should last for a satisfactory amount of time.
Detroit does an excellent job here; they offer a 10-year long warranty which is incredible. Not many brands offer such a long warranty for struts at this time.
How to Install Detroit Axel Struts on Vehicle
- Park the vehicle on a level surface and set the parking brake. Keep enough room around your front tires for you to get underneath the vehicle for safety purposes.
- Remove the large center bolt from the top of your factory shock absorber with a ratchet and socket wrench. Do not remove the smaller bolt that is directly in front of your shock absorber (this holds it to your axle).
- If you were able to slide your factory strut out before removing the top bolt, place one end in a vise grip or weld-on table clamps. And hold it securely in place while you undo the lower shock bolts (in case they slip).
- The rubber boot at this point should still be attached to either side of your factory struts (if they are not sliding) do not damage these boots, leave them intact until after installation when sliding new axel struts into your vehicle.
- Inspect the top side of your factory axle (the part that slides onto the top of your strut). If there are small grooves built into it, you should be careful not to damage them while sliding on new axel struts.
- This is because these grooves act as a locking mechanism for your stock shock absorbers. There may or may not be visible grooves in place regardless, take care when installing new axel struts to avoid any possible damage.
- Slide one end of each Detroit Axle Strut over the exposed end of your axle shaft and under the rubber boot on either side, carefully lining up the supplied bolts with mounting points cut into either side of your existing axle shaft bracket (it’s easiest if you do this by hand with two people).
- Install your factory lower shock bolts (in case they slip, have the vise grip or welding clamps ready to secure it in place), then tighten your new axel struts into place with a ratchet and socket wrench.
- Replace the center bolt for your axle shaft bracket on top of each strut with a stainless steel bolt, washer, and self-locking nut combination.
- Tighten these using either an open-end wrench or sockets depending on the size of nuts used by Detroit Axle.
- If you are missing any hardware when installing your new axel struts, only buy the exact pieces needed.
- Reconnect your sway bar end links using supplied hardware, making sure that the ball joint on the end link is facing towards the front of your vehicle and that there is no pre-load on the sway bar.
- (A simple way to check this is to grab the wheel at both ends and attempt to move it side-to-side; it should not move more than an inch or so).
- Pump up your new Detroit Axle Struts until they are fully inflated, following the pressure recommendations found inside of your strut’s packaging.
- Test drive your vehicle and enjoy the improved ride quality!
Comparison to competition
Detroit Axel Vs Monroe
When it comes to comparing the Detroit Axel Struts to the Monroe Strut, there are a few key areas where they differ.
The Detroit Axel is made with a smaller diameter shaft which can create some minor clearance issues if you have a large aftermarket bumper or grille on your truck.
The Monroe, on the other hand, has a larger diameter shaft which could be helpful if you have a lift kit installed on your truck.
Additionally, the Detroit Axel features a unique coil spring design that helps keep the strut compressed under heavy loads, while the Monroe uses a standard coil spring.
This can be important for those who frequently carry heavy loads in their truck bed or use their vehicle for towing.
Overall, both struts are good and worth giving a shot.
Detroit Axel vs FCS Struts
FCS struts are nice because they offer the ability to adjust the ride height of your truck, but there are two main downsides.
The first is that FCS struts do not last as long as other suspension parts.
Additionally, the price point for these struts is about $100 higher than that of a comparable Detroit Axel.
Another key area where the Detroit Axle Struts differ is their shape.
The Detroit Axel features a unique shape that helps it to maintain compression even under high load, while the FCS strut uses a standard round design.
Additionally, the FCS strut comes in multiple sizes which can be important for those who want to retain their factory ride.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Detroit axle make good struts?
The Detroit Axel company is a well-known and respected manufacturer of heavy-duty truck axles and related components. And yes, they do make good struts.
2. Are Detroit axle parts good quality?
The Detroit Axel company has a long history of producing high-quality truck axles and related components.
The company has been in business for more than 100 years and today sells to a variety of worldwide clients.
While their struts may not be as well-known as their axles, the quality and durability of their products are undisputed.
3. Who makes Detroit Axle?
The Detroit axles are made by the Detroit axle company.
4. Are Detroit axle parts made in USA?
Some Detroit axle parts are made in the USA, while others are made overseas. It all depends on the particular part in question.
5. Is Detroit Axle OEM?
Detroit Axel is not an OEM supplier. However, they do work with a variety of Original Equipment Manufacturers to supply them with high-quality components.
6. Can Detroit Axel parts be used for racing?
Detroit axle parts are not designed for racing applications. They are built for heavy-duty use in commercial vehicles only.
7. Where is Detroit axle from?
The Detroit axle company is headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. However, they have global operations and sell their products worldwide.
8. What is the warranty on Detroit axle parts?
Detroit axle offers a limited warranty on all of its products. For specific details, you should contact the company directly.
9. How fast does Detroit Axle ship?
Detroit axle typically ships all orders within 24 hours. However, sometimes it might take a little more.
10. What is Detroit axle’s return policy?
Detroit axle does not accept returns on any of its products. If you have any questions or concerns about a particular part, you should contact the company directly.
11. Are Detroit Axle Brake Parts good?
Detroit axle brake parts are some of the bests in the business. They’re made to withstand the rigors of heavy-duty use, and they provide superior braking performance.
12. What is a good strut brand?
A good brand of strut should be well-known and respected in the automotive industry. The Detroit Axel company has this distinction, having been in business for over 100 years. While their struts may not be as well-known as their axles, there is no question that they are reliable and durable.
Struts are a critical part of the drivetrain in any car. When it comes time to replace them, it’s important to do your research and find the best option for your vehicle.
Detroit axle struts are a quality option that will provide you with years of reliable service. For reliable and durable struts, Detroit Axel struts are one of the good choices without any doubt.
However, I hope these Detroit Axle Strut Reviews comes in handy for you.