Maintaining your vehicle surely requires you to invest lots of time and effort in it. And, as one of the most important things for every vehicle, shocks and struts are quite essential.
However, you will be faced with lots of different choices on the market, which means that you have to find only the best shocks and struts.
In that article, we are here to discuss everything that you need to know about shocks and struts. This way, you will be properly introduced to every essential aspect of both shocks and struts.
You can find quite valuable information in this article regarding shocks and struts, as well as some of the best shock absorbers and struts reviews on the market.
So, let’s get down to business. After all, shocks and struts are quite important and they are the essential part of every vehicle, no matter the size or the type.
When is the best time to replace shocks and struts
As we all know, shocks and struts are the main part of your air suspension system that allows your vehicle to be balanced and perfectly connected to the road. They are quite reliable parts in the whole suspension system, but, they have to be changed after some time.
Now, most of the experts actually recommend replacing shocks and struts every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, that is just a general information. The best way to know when to replace your shocks and struts is to follow a specific maintenance schedule that every vehicle has.
Since the life of your best off road shocks and struts mainly depends on your driving patters, you would be able to have a general picture when to replace them. On the other hand, you can always contact the experts and get them to check your shocks and struts and give you the best opinion.
- The Comparison of Top 10 Best Shocks and Struts
- Our 10 Picks of best shocks and struts
- 1. Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shock Set for Ford F250 4WD Models
- 2. Pair Rear Shock Absorber Set with built-in plug for damping regulation
- 3. Detroit Axle Struts and Shock Absorbers for Chevrolet and Enclave Models
- 4. Monroe Adjusting Shock Absorber with Fluon Banded Pistol for variety of Vehicles
- 5. Suspa Shock Absorber with end fittings and durable construction, Made in USA
- 6. Bilstein Rear Shock Absorber for 2002 GMC Sierra 1500
- 7. Detroit Axle Rear Driver & Passenger Side Complete Strut
- 8. Rancho Quick Lift Loaded Strut compatible with Rancho MyRide
- 9. KYB Shock Absorber with High Gas pressure Feature for Hyundai Vehicles
- 10. Monroe Max-Air Adjust Shock Absorber With Special modifiers for Variety of Vehicles
- How long do shocks and struts last
- The difference between shocks and struts
- Who makes the best shock and strut
- How to choose best quality shocks and struts
- Front shocks Replacement (The Whole Step by Step Process)
- Front Strut Replacement (The Whole Step by Step Process)
- Frequently Asked Questions About Shocks and Struts
- Wrapping Up
The Comparison of Top 10 Best Shocks and Struts
|Bilstein 5100 Monotube|
|BuyAutoParts Shock Absorber||Shock||14||Pair Rear||Check Price|
|Detroit Axle Struts & Shock||Shock+Strut||48||Front+Rear||Check Price|
|Monroe Shock Absorber|
|Suspa C16-08054 C1608054||Shock||1.25||Rear||Check Price|
|Bilstein Rear Shock||Shock|
|Detroit Axle Rear Driver||Strut+Sway|
|Rancho Quick Lift Strut|
|KYB Shock Absorber|
|3.55||Both Sides||Check Price|
|Monroe Max-Air Shock|
Our 10 Picks of best shocks and struts
After everything we said so far, it is time now to see some of the best shocks and struts that money can buy. Let’s begin with the reviews so that you can decide which one to pick. Keep in mind that these products are all quite valuable and worth the money. Let’s start.
1. Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shock Set for Ford F250 4WD Models
Our first product that we are going to review is the Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shock that comes from a line of quite valuable shocks. Namely, this is actually a whole set of shocks that have 4 basically the same shocks. Anyhow, let’s see the main features and qualities of this outstanding set of shocks.
First of all, the compatibility of the shocks that are equipped in this set is quite amazing. You will be able to mount these shocks on any 4WD vehicle. Besides that, these shocks provide many benefits while driving since they are able to absorb most of the oscillations and bouncing.
Next, there is a monotbue that is charged with the gas which ensures maximum durability and longevity for the vehicle’s suspension system. Also, you can expect that your car’s performance can only increase when you mount these shocks in the suspension system.
Furthermore, you should know that any washers, bushings, and nuts are included in this set. This will allow you to easily mount these shocks since the factory mounting bolts can be reused plenty of times for installation. On top of that, every part that is equipped on these shocks is quite durable and made out of the high-quality materials.
All in all, you will find these shocks quite valuable and pretty convenient for almost every type of the road and driving routine. Anyhow, Blistein’s limited lifetime warranty surely will come quite helpful in case you come across any troubles with these shocks.
- These shocks provide great driving experience.
- Made out of the high-quality materials.
- Monotune gas charged for maximum durability and longevity.
- Improves your vehicle’s performance on the road.
- New shocks are a bit stiff at first.
- Previous experience is required for installation.
2. Pair Rear Shock Absorber Set with built-in plug for damping regulation
For our second product, we have prepared these shocks that are quite good when it comes to damping oscillations and bouncing. Simply speaking, you will definitely find these shocks quite good since they will improve your driving experience and time spent on the road.
This air suspension shock absorber is maintaining the original suspension system, but, it is able to deactivate the electronic shock control that the original unit has. This means that you can rely on this shock absorber to easily damp any bouncing movement that your vehicle makes.
Possibly the best thing about this shock absorber is that it comes with a built-in plug that is able to turn off the das warning light. Besides that, this is one of the specially designed shock absorbers that is capable of handling all driving scenarios without the help of electronic damping adjustment system.
Next, the installation process is quite easy and you will be able to directly implement this shock absorber onto your vehicle without any complications. Also, only the high-quality materials were used to make this shock absorber and it will surely meet the standards or even exceed the OEM standards.
Anyway, the compatibility of this shock absorber is quite great as well. Namely, you can use this shock absorber on almost any vehicle that comes from a line of Cadillac and Chevrolet vehicles.
- Easily mounted to provide proper fit.
- Equipped with the built-in plug that regulates dumping.
- Capable of handling every driving scenario.
- High-quality materials and parts used to build it.
- You might need to modify the air inlet.
3. Detroit Axle Struts and Shock Absorbers for Chevrolet and Enclave Models
Detroit Axle Strut and shock absorber are definitely one of the best air suspension parts that you can find on the market. With everything that this shock and this strut have to offer, your vehicle wills surely benefit a lot while diving.
The first thing that you should know about this shock and this strut is the compatibility reach. Namely, these parts of the suspension system were specially designed for Enclave and Chevrolet models. Every model that came up on the market before 2016 is basically compatible with this shock and strut.
Also, other models like Acadia and every model of Saturn vehicle that came up before 2016 are compatible with the specially designed strut and shock like this one. However, the installation process is a bit complicated and you should probably follow every step of the instruction.
Besides that, a well-known manufacturer like Detroit Axle is definitely one of the leading suppliers when it comes to ride control products. To top it all off, every part of these products is made out of the durable and high-quality materials.
- Faculty certified products with splendid performance.
- Fits perfectly any model of Chevrolet and Enclave vehicle.
- Equipped with highest-quality materials.
- Absorbs any oscillation and bouncing movement.
- Not that easy installation process.
- Shocks don’t have any special features.
4. Monroe Adjusting Shock Absorber with Fluon Banded Pistol for variety of Vehicles
Monroe Adjusting Shock Absorber is one of the most convenient shock absorbers when it comes to reducing oscillation and bouncing while driving. Namely, this shock absorber is equipped with some special features which directly contribute to its overall performance and quality. Let’s see.
Now, this shock absorber is quite good no matter the occasion or driving scenario. Simply, you can expect from this shock absorber to perform greatly in every situation. This is actually because of the specially designed feature modifier which reduces the friction and ensures smooth and comfortable ride.
On the other hand, this shock absorber is also equipped with the full displaced valving. This feature will ensure you will enable you the consistency of driving even in the most extreme situations. Besides that, this shock absorber has a fluon banded piston. This fluon band will ensure consistent sealing in between the piston and the pressure tube, which will increase the driving control and durability.
On top if it all, you will hardy find better shock absorber with the specially designed features like this one. Also, the value of this shock absorber is quite good since it holds pretty great value for the price.
- Increases driving control and stability on the road.
- Equipped with high-quality features that boost performance.
- Fluon band provides great durability and control.
- Made out of the high-quality materials
- There might be some spring noise.
- Requires patient and proper installation process.
5. Suspa Shock Absorber with end fittings and durable construction, Made in USA
Suspa Shock Absorber will definitely come quite helpful for improving your vehicle’s driving performance on the road. With everything that this shock absorber has to offer, you will surely benefit a lot from it.
The first thing that separates this shock absorbers form the others is the convenient design. Namely, the compressed length goes up to 11.8 inches, while the extended length goes up to 19.7 inches, center-from-center. This means that your vehicle will be able to adjust and absorb any kind of pressure or oscillation while driving.
On the other hand, this shock absorber is equipped with nylon ball sockets which are 10mm in diameter. These end fittings will surely provide great and easy installation without any troubles or complications. However, it is recommendable to do the installation process only if you have experience in this field.
Furthermore, the materials that were used to make this shock absorber are of the highest quality. This means that durability and the overall performance of the shock absorber are quite good. This shock absorber will definitely exceed the older one that you had equipped.
After all, there are two shock absorbers included inside this set. They are both quite valuable and definitely the best option if you need to reduce bouncing and oscillation during your driving time.
- Specially designed features for maximum performance.
- Great durability and high-quality materials.
- Equipped with end fittings for easy installation.
- Force exceeds up to 100 LBS.
- Adjustment screw is not equipped for pressure lessening.
- They might be a bit short for some vehicles.
6. Bilstein Rear Shock Absorber for 2002 GMC Sierra 1500
Bilstein Rear Shock Absorber surely is one of the best on the market considering everything that this absorber has to offer. With the shock absorber like this one, you will surely be able to improve your car’s performance and driving capabilities.
Now, some of the most important specially designed features that this shock absorber is equipped with are monotube, durable construction, special internal design, and outstanding finish and high-quality materials. Every one of these features directly contributes to the overall performance and the value of the shock absorber.
Anyhow, the high-quality materials are definitely making this shock absorber quite great as they improve its durability and performance. Besides that, there is a monotube gas charged which will increase the durability and longevity.
Furthermore, this shock absorber is compatible with only 2002 Sierra 1500 models. This might seem a little bit underwhelming, but this shock absorber does its job in the best possible light. If you find yourself to be an owner of this vehicle, you surely will benefit a lot from this shock absorber.
All in all, the Blisten’s lifetime limited warranty will also ensure that if anything happens with this shock absorber, you will get the new one instead. Also, you will find this shock absorber quite valuable since it holds massive value for the cash.
- Heavy-duty construction with high-quality materials.
- Ensures better driving control and less oscillation.
- This shock absorber is easy to install.
- Covered with zinc plated finish for extra durability.
- Compatible with only one vehicle model.
- Provides a bit stiff feeling at first.
7. Detroit Axle Rear Driver & Passenger Side Complete Strut
This is one of the best struts that comes from a line of Detroit Axle products that is equipped with lots of different features. Anyhow, this strut is only designed for rear driver and passenger side wheels. In that light, let’s see everything that this strut has to offer.
As we all know, strut is a major part of any suspension system, therefore, this strut surely will maximize the performance of your vehicle. With the high-quality materials and specially designed shape, this strut will absorb most of the bouncing and oscillation during the driving time.
On top of that, this whole package is equipped with strut, coil, and a spring with mounts which enables easy installation process. However, this is only a strut made for Sedan models, but, you can find it quite valuable if you drive one of the Sedan vehicles.
- Ensures Detroit Axle’s guarantee and quality.
- Easy installation process without complications.
- Durable and high-quality materials for maximum performance.
- Great for every Sedan model vehicle.
- You might experience stiff feeling at the beginning.
- Compatible with Sedan models only.
8. Rancho Quick Lift Loaded Strut compatible with Rancho MyRide
Rancho Quick Lift Loaded Strut surely will come quite helpful when you need to regulate the oscillation and bouncing movements of your car. This strut is equipped with really great features and high-quality parts which will ensure nothing but the best performance for your car.
First of all, this strut is really easy to install since it is equipped and pre-assembled with coil spring and outstanding upper mount. This means that you can actually mount this strut without any complications and in no time.
Next, this strut is quite good when it comes to leveling front suspension. You will definitely benefit from this strut since it is able to remove almost any kind of oscillation while you drive. Besides that, when mounted, this strut also removes the factory rake.
On top of it all, this strut is made out of the high-quality materials and it has liquid metallic finish that boost durability. You will not have to worry about corrosion or rust when it comes to this exact strut. Also, every part of this strut is out of the premium quality which surely boosts its performance.
Possibly the best thing about this strut is the fact that it is equipped with 9-position tuning technology. Namely, you can easily adjust the driving quality in any given situation and occasion. This strut actually excels in every field of performance greatly.
- Easy to install – doesn’t require much.
- Premium-quality materials for better durability with metallic finish.
- 9-Position tuning technology for adjusting to any scenario.
- Creates custom look for your vehicle.
- The spring is a bit soft.
- Creaking noise might occur at the beginning.
9. KYB Shock Absorber with High Gas pressure Feature for Hyundai Vehicles
This KYB Shock Absorber is definitely one of the most convenient shock absorbers that is specially designed for Hyundai vehicles. Simply speaking, there are plenty of features equipped on this absorber that are quite convenient when it comes to regulating the oscillation while driving.
Now, this shock absorber is equipped with monotube and it is specially designed to meet the OEM standards, if not to exceed them. This specially calibrated shock will definitely help you to restore the original controls of the vehicle handling.
Besides that, the amazingly high gas pressure design that this shock absorber has certainly will provide extra control even in the most demanding driving scenarios. This will allow you to have the perfect control of your vehicle and experience less oscillation while driving.
However, the best thing about this shock absorber is the monotube design which literally outperforms any other shock absorber. You will definitely benefit more from this one than any other shock absorber that comes from a line of KYB and it is compatible with Hyundai cars.
- High gas pressure for better control.
- Unique hydraulic unit provides great performance.
- Made out of the high-quality materials.
- Monotube design outperforms any other shock absorber.
- The installation process might take more time.
- Not that durable on tough roads.
10. Monroe Max-Air Adjust Shock Absorber With Special modifiers for Variety of Vehicles
This is one of the best Monroe Shock Absorbers that you can find on the market. Namely, everything that goes with this shock absorber, and everything that it has to offer will surely make you benefit a lot. Anyhow, let’s see everything about this one.
The main thing that separates this shock absorber from the rest is the long service life and great performance. You can actually depend on this shock absorber pretty much for a long period of time. This is all because of the hardened ground rod which ensures consistent and outstanding performance.
Next, the all-weather fluid feature that is equipped with special modifiers will definitely reduce friction and ensure perfectly smooth rod reaction. You will be able to experience only the best driving feeling with this shock absorber for sure.
Furthermore, the full displaced vavling will enable better compression and extension cycles will perform faster and better as well. This will ensure you with the most comfortable ride which you can benefit a lot from. Also, this shock absorber surely is one of the best on the market and it has lots of great benefits to offer.
- Equipped with all-weather fluid with special modifiers.
- Hardened construction with premium-quality materials.
- Provides great and comfortable driving experience.
- Quite great for any weather condition.
- The installation process is not that easy.
- Does not come with air-line fittings.
How long do shocks and struts last
If you have been told that there is a time limit or the expiration date on shocks and struts for cars, forget it! There is no definite answer to the question how long do shocks and struts last. Namely, the life span of shocks and struts depends on many reasons and factors.
Some of the main factors that directly contribute to the life of shocks and struts are:
- Driving routine/type
- The condition of the roads you drive on
- Weather conditions
- The overall condition of your vehicle
So, you can clearly see that there is not only one factor that determines the life of your shocks and struts on your vehicle. Therefore, you can easily conclude that if you take good care of your car, your shocks and struts will last longer.
On the other hand, if you push your car to the limits in some fields of performance, you will probably need to replace shocks and struts way sooner.
The difference between shocks and struts
As many of you wonder right now, the difference between shocks and struts is quite complex. Namely, shocks and struts basically do the same job on the car which, of course is, damping the movement when it comes to oscillation and bounce. However, even though they are accomplishing the same job, the shocks and struts are actually two different parts.
Anyhow, it is quite important to know that shocks can’t be used to replace struts, and struts can’t be used to replace shocks as well. This also means that you can’t have both shock and strut on the same wheel. They are always separately integrated in the wheel of the vehicle, so you can’t have both of them on the same wheel.
Now, definitely the main difference between these two parts is that struts are the structural part of the car suspension system. On the other hand, shocks are not a structural part of the suspension system. In that light, we can mention that strut is a definitely the most crucial part of the vehicle steering system which really needs to be of the highest-quality.
Furthermore, people often get confused when they need to buy shocks and struts for smooth ride. Therefore, it is quite important to know the difference. While the struts are actually a part of the suspension system, shocks are only a helpful part that actually does the same job as the struts, but only when it comes to suspension and damping of the oscillation.
Anyway, let’s see the table which represents these two parts and their differences.
[table id=29 responsive=scroll /]
Who makes the best shock and strut
Now, it is also quite important to know the names of companies that make the best one. This way, you will now exactly which products to look for. Let’s see some of the best brand of shocks and struts when it comes to quality.
- Bilstein – Back in 1954, BILSTEIN developed high-quality technology for many different car systems. Their products are one of the most valuable ones on the market, and they make top-rated shocks and struts for bmw.
- KYB – The Japans leading hydraulic industry named KYB is responsible for great and high-quality suspension systems and top shocks and struts for honda odyssey.
- Monroe Shocks – This brand name specializes in shocks and struts which makes their products quite valuable and durable.
- Fox Racing – The Fox Racing manufacturer offers such great products that are of the highest quality in almost any field of performance.
- KONI – KONI is well-known brand name when it comes to vehicle parts. Therefore, they are making some of the best budget shocks and struts for suv.
- Gabriel – The Gabriel offers newly developed suspension systems which are equipped with heavy-duty parts.
- Pro Comp – As one of the leading brand names on the market, Pro Comp surely offers some great shocks and struts.
- Rancho Suspension – Last, but not the least, Rancho Suspension is rich with outstanding shocks and struts that last for a long period of time. Also, they make best quality shocks and struts for trucks.
How to choose best quality shocks and struts
Now, in order to choose the best and the most suitable shocks or struts for your car, you should take into consideration these next things that we are going to discuss. Let’s see the qualities of best rated shocks and struts.
Know what you are looking for
First of all, you need to determine whether you need a shock or a strut. After that, you should know the exact model of the shock or the strut that you need to replace on your vehicle. Now, sometimes it isn’t that easy to find the most suitable part for the suspension system. However, there are two pretty convenient ways of finding out.
1. Search vehicle’s year and model
If you can search and find the vehicle’s year, you will be able to determine which shock or strut you actually need. This is usually easy to do, but, sometimes you can’t find the exact model of the vehicle and that can create a bit of problems.
In that light, try using the other method. On the other hand, if you found the vehicle’s year and model, you will easily be able to find the exact model of the shock or strut that your car needs.
2. Find OEM
Second method of finding the most suitable strut or shock is to take the old one and read the OEM part number. The OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, which will directly tell you which strut or shock to get.
The OEM sticker is usually printed on the shock or the strut itself. Anyway, you will be able to easily find this information and determine which strut or shock your car actually need.
What to look for
Next, after you determined the correct OEM and the exact model of the shock or strut that you need, it is time now to choose the best one. You will be able to determine the quality of the shock or the strut by looking for these next things in it.
- Chrome plated piston – It is quite important to look out for only the high-quality materials when it comes to shock and struts. After all, they are part of the suspension system that is definitely crucial to the overall quality of your car. Some of the good shocks and struts for toyota tundra are chrome plated ones.
Also, it is a good idea to get the shocks and struts that are equipped with chrome plated piston. This way, you will be ensured of the best quality that will last for a long period of time.
- High-quality paint – The paint is quite crucial as well. You need to find the strut or the shock that has high-quality pain since it will be protected from the corrosion and rust. You need to look out for your car, and find the best possible shock and strut.
- Polished shafts – Polished shafts are also one of the important things when it comes to finding the top class shocks or struts. Namely, your car will definitely perform better with the shocks or struts that are equipped with polished shafts.
- Exceeding the OEM performance – Also, the overall performance of the new strut or shock should at least be the same as the old one. But, if you can find better shocks or struts, you definitely should get it. The shocks and struts for mustang models are definitely exceeding in performance.
A newly developed and specially designed shock or strut surely will exceed in the field of performance better than the old one.
- Warranty – Last, but definitely not the least, you should always look out for the warranty. Namely, you should get best performance shocks and struts that have at least 1-year warranty included.
Finding the strut or the shock with specially designed features can sometimes be quite valuable. Simply speaking, there are some shocks and struts that are specially designed for sport cars or a bit heavier vehicles. Having that on your mind, you should actually take into consideration every aspect of the shock or the strut that you want to buy, especially when it comes to shocks and struts for chevy trailblazer.
After all, finding the most suitable strut or the shock for your vehicle surely will improve its performance and driving capabilities.
Front shocks Replacement (The Whole Step by Step Process)
Front Strut Replacement (The Whole Step by Step Process)
Frequently Asked Questions About Shocks and Struts
Now, let’s see some of the most common questions that people asked in order to learn everything they can about shock absorbers. This will definitely help you as well in order to get the best insight into the products and everything about them.
1-Q: Do worn out shocks and struts affecting the drivability?
Answer: Of course they do! After some time, shocks and struts are losing their level of performance and their durability as well. That can really affect the drivability and affect your control over the vehicle as well.
2-Q: Can I use different shocks or struts on my car?
Answer: There are specially designed shocks and struts for every vehicle model. Therefore, using the non-compatible one is not a good idea.
3-Q: Are there any differences between a new and a reconditioned shock or strut?
Answer: The difference might not seem so big, but it actually is. With the new one, you will be able to achieve much more on the road.
4-Q: Is it possible to rebuild shocks or struts?
Answer: Only if you are an experienced mechanic. But, it definitely isn’t recommendable to rebuild shock or strut.
5-Q: Are regular shocks or struts enough for large weights and towing?
Answer: Well, you probably need to find the most suitable shock and strut if you plan on putting a lot of weight on your vehicle.
6-Q: Is tire aligning necessary after shock or strut replacement?
Answer: Yes it is! You always need to make sure that your vehicle is in the proper condition for driving.
7-Q: Should I replace any other part while struts or shocks are in the service?
Answer: Well, this basically is up to you. We recommend replacing any part that might influence the performance of the strut or the shock.
8-Q: How often should I inspect the shocks or struts shape?
Answer: The maintaining process should be done every few months, just in case if something happened.
9-Q: Is it expensive to replace shocks or struts?
Answer: Considering that there are pretty expensive parts of every vehicle, shocks and struts are not the expensive after all.
10-Q: Is material of shocks and struts important?
Answer: Of course is it! The construction is important as well. Every part of the air suspension systems needs to be made out of the high-quality materials.
In the light of everything we said above, it is only left to mention the overall value of these shocks and struts that we reviewed. Namely, every product that we listed here holds massive value for the cash since it provides great benefits for every user.