A professional, without his tools, is as good as an empty vessel.
The professionals who reading this best nail gun for trim review are already nodding their heads in agreement. It also holds true for the DIY enthusiasts out there, who also need power tools like the best electric nail gun for trim to get on with their projects.
There are a couple of reasons behind this:
First of all, the budget is a very big issue with power tools. Finding the right nail gun for crafts is not just hard, it’s costly as well.
Then you have the usability issue to consider. For instance, let’s say you want a nail gun which can help you with your fence repairs. The choices out there may be plenty. But, in reality, only a chosen few will give you the desired results.
So, to take care of this issues for you, we will be going through some of the best nail guns currently available. We will not just be telling you about each product, we will also be finding out what they’re good at and what weak points they have. This will clearly give you an idea of what you should be looking for.
So, let’s get started!
- Our 10 Picks for the Best Nail Guns for Trim, Fencing
- 1. DEWALT DC618K XRP Angled Finish Nailer Kit
- 2. Hitachi KNT50AB Brad Nailer and Compressor Combo Kit
- 3. Freeman P4FRFNCB Framing/Finishing Combo Kit
- 4. Paslode 902400 Cordless 16g Angled Lithium Ion Finish Nailer
- 5. Hitachi NT65MA4 Angled Finish Nailer with Air Duster
- 6. WEN 61721 Pneumatic Brad Nailer
- 7. BOSTITCH N62FNK Angled Finish Nailer
- 8. Stanley TRE550Z Electric Staple/Brad Nail Gun
- 9. WEN Brad Nailer
- 10. PORTER-CABLE PCC790B 20V MAX Lithium 18GA Brad Nailer
- Which gauge finish nailers should you own?
- How to choose a nail gun for your project?
- How to use a trim nailer gun: things that matter
- Frequently Asked Questions Related to nail Gun
- Final Thoughts
Which nail gun do I need?
Whenever you’re looking for the best all-around nail gun, the one thing that you should keep in mind is how and where will you use it.
For instance, there are nail guns which will work best with wood. But there are other options out there which only work better with metal parts. All in all, your choice will vary depending on how and when you use your nail gun.
The reason we are repeating the factors ‘When’ and ‘How’ is crucial, especially for a professional. For instance, a professional may not have access to electricity, which is why he may need to go with a professional option. And in case of an enthusiast, something with fast and easy usability is always appreciated.
So, you can see that depending on the usability aspect, different users may have different preferences, which is why making the right choice is a necessity.
Our 10 Picks for the Best Nail Guns for Trim, Fencing[table id=24 responsive=scroll /]
1. DEWALT DC618K XRP Angled Finish Nailer Kit
DEWALT, as many of you may already know, is one of the most prominent brands in the construction market. It’s been many years now since they have been in the marketplace. And to no one’s surprise, they have done surprisingly well, becoming one the fan favorites thanks to their smart and reliable product line-up.
And the DC618K is one of their prized creations, which helps to hold all of the claims true that we discussed right now.
The DC618K finish nailer is a top-notch device in both its design execution and specs. The lightweight and sturdy build quality is one of the best in the market. As a matter of fact, we can easily say it is one of the best all-around nail guns for trim currently available.
When it comes to the features, there’s not that much to talk about. The 20-degree angled nailer has a convenient magazine which holds a decent number of nails. Also, the tool-free mechanism to free up the jammed nails also offers a good amount of usability thanks to the smart nose design.
Overall, if you are looking for a nail gun without a compressor, then you should certainly check it out. You will not find a better option which has such great battery saving and application handling capabilities.
- An 18-volt 20-degree angled finish nailer kit.
- A lightweight tool with superb maneuverability.
- Angled magazine can hold 120-nails.
- Shoots 16-gauge nails, a superb option for both heavy and light task.
- Features an 8.5-pound lightweight design, with superb build quality.
- XRP extended battery life system offers decent battery life.
- No-tool jammed nailed removal system is accessible with ease.
- A dial with 6-position settings allows a smooth transition from various one application to another.
- Constant jamming is an issue.
2. Hitachi KNT50AB Brad Nailer and Compressor Combo Kit
In case you’re in the market for a power actuated nail gun, then the Hitachi KNT50AB combo kit may be the one for you.
In this best nail gun for trim review, you will find various pneumatic nail guns. But this combo kit offers both value and performance, which is not at all easy to find.
In case of features, there’s not too much to complain really. The compact and lightweight design is a welcome trait. Also, this 18-gauge nailer will add a lot of value if you have to deal with heavy tasks on a daily basis. So, thanks to the rugged build quality and compact nature of the finish nailer, we can say it can be an option for the best nail gun for baseboards.
All in all, thanks to the driving power and multi-operation feature, it does offer a really good value for the money. So, you should certainly check it out for yourselves.
- The 18-gauge brad nailer is lightweight and compact.
- Comes with the EC701S 6-gallon, oil-less, pancake compressor.
- Overall build quality is rugged.
- The EC701S can run multiple nail guns (depending on the usability).
- Comes with a 25×1/4-inch hybrid hose with industrial fittings and bend restrictors.
- Offers 150-PSI maximum working pressure.
- Delivers 2.8-CFM at 90-PSI for multi-applications.
- Driving longer nails into surfaces may be an issue.
3. Freeman P4FRFNCB Framing/Finishing Combo Kit
Freeman, also a really reputable brand, have their P4FRFNCB framing nailer combo kit, which is not a bad option at all.
Although it is a combination of 4-different nailers, their overall specs are pretty much the same. Thanks to that consistency and unique feature set, the P4FRFNCB finishing nailer has claimed a spot in our best nail gun for trim review.
One of the key features of this combo set is the build quality. The lightweight and compact design of each apparatus offer very good usability overall. Also, the industrial grade parts mingle together really well to give you that nice overall fell. In short, it has great maneuverability, which adds to the overall usability.
Furthermore, you are getting a convenient nose design which is capable of shooting nails with precision and accuracy.
In conclusion, if you are looking for the best pneumatic finish nail gun, then choosing this is certainly not a bad idea.
- Features an industrial-grade design with Teflon O-rings longer life.
- Risk of failure is minimal thanks to the hardened steel drive blades (one piece).
- Features anodized aluminum cylinder and magazines, offering good usability and lifetime.
- Also, there is the quick jam release feature for convenience.
- All components in the kit feature an oil-free design.
- All nail guns also feature 360-degree adjustable exhaust, allowing the user to direct air away from the debris.
- The no-mar tip allows the safety of the working surface.
- The inserting angle is not that great.
4. Paslode 902400 Cordless 16g Angled Lithium Ion Finish Nailer
The makers at Paslode do have some very innovative ideas in the sack. And they have done a really good job by bringing it to fruition via the 902400 finish nailer.
Cordless nailers in the best nail gun for the trim category is always underrated because of the build quality and nail insertion force. But the 902400 cordless nailer does a good job of proving those claims false.
As far as the features go, we really appreciate the minimalistic and ergonomic design. It is highly portable, so maneuverability is there. And the industrial grade design does stand out despite the lightweight design footprint.
One of the key selling points of the 902400 is the depth drive system, which is, without any doubt one of the best in the industry. The 16-gauge nails really have no issues getting driven within the surface. Also, you can’t forget about the In-can fuel system, which is very reliable and easy to install.
Overall, we really can’t think of anything bad to say about this finish nailer. As it is a superior performer when it comes to framing and furniture repairs, we think it is safe to call it the best cordless framing nail gun.
- The portable design and lightweight (4.3-pounds) design offers superior usability.
- Features the In-can fuel system, which is easy to install.
- The design offers better ergonomics and flexibility in movement.
- Features a professional grade depth drive system.
- This angled finish nailer can shoot 16-gauge nails, which is suitable for almost all types of applications.
- It is very loud, so you may need a pair of ear muffs.
5. Hitachi NT65MA4 Angled Finish Nailer with Air Duster
The Hitachi NT65MA4 angled nailer is one of those options which can do almost every light task by maintaining a minimum standard.
There some good reasons for that.
First of all, it is a 15-gauge nailer. This implies that you need to apply the features of this nailer for light framing or repairs only, which will certainly bear much better results. And the design, although it is a sturdy one, does seem to cement our claims.
At 4.2-pounds, it is a lightweight option. And thanks to the selective actuation, which does allow you to switch between sequential or contact nailing, the NT65MA4 makes itself one of the standout options. Also, the tool-free depth of drive does help you to ensure a professional finish overall.
All in all, for a finish nailer which can get into tight corners, is not a bad option by any means. So, we would recommend that you check it out for yourselves to better understand the product itself.
- Features a solid design with a 34-degree foldable magazine.
- It’s a lightweight finish nailer which allows for better maneuverability.
- Comes with an integrated air duster for removing debris from the work surface.
- The 360-degree air exhaust port is flexible enough to drive air from the workspace.
- The nose design offers tool-free nail extraction in case of jamming.
- Features selective actuation for easy switching from contact nailing to sequential nailing.
- The tool-less drive dial increases the overall usability.
- The adjuster nob feels cheap.
- Not suitable for heavy tasks.
6. WEN 61721 Pneumatic Brad Nailer
If you are in the market for the best brad nail gun, then you should probably check out the 61721 from WEN. You will find out, this pneumatic nailer is a convenient option for the masses.
As far as the build quality goes, the outer shell may look a bit disappointing at first glance. But it is certainly sturdy enough to get the job done.
Also, the 106-nail capacity magazine is acceptable for the price. Furthermore, the nose latch does offer good clearing capabilities in case you face nail jamming issues. In short, you will be getting what you paid for.
So, overall, we think it certainly has the potential to be the best nail gun for crown molding. It is a nailer to take care of heavy tasks. So, as long as you have total control over what you are doing, there is no reason for you to avoid this option.
- Features a minimalistic yet solid design with a powder-coated finish.
- Shoots 18-gauge nails, suitable for heavy applications.
- Operates at 60 to a 115-PSI (1/4-inch air inlet fitting).
- Easy reloads with a 106-nail capacity.
- The air exhaust is adjustable in any direction.
- Tool-less nail removal is possible thanks to the smart nose design.
- The magazine isn’t angled.
- Lack of proper instructions is a big issue.
7. BOSTITCH N62FNK Angled Finish Nailer
The N62FNK angled finish nailer has a place in our list for several reasons.
First of all, we really appreciate handy and lightweight designs. And the N62FNK has all those design traits. It’s a moderately compact and comfortable option. Also, due to the angled design, you are getting some added flexibility while working with frames or furniture.
The nail gun magazine has an acceptable capacity which can shoot nails at surprisingly high speeds. Now, do note that you are working with 15-gauge nails which are much smaller and lighter. With such a high driving force, doing small tasks shouldn’t pose any serious problems.
All in all, we can safely say that this nail gun is sufficient for intermediate professionals and DIY users alike. Thanks to its more-than-enough driving force and other convenient features, users shouldn’t have any problems with the day to day tasks. Other than some very heavy workloads, it can handle almost anything. So, you should obviously check it out for yourselves.
- Operates at a 70 to 120-PSI.
- The Easy release magazine can hold 130 nails of 15-gauge.
- The overall construction is sturdy.
- The magnesium housing is lightweight and durable.
- Features a 400-inch/lbs. driving force.
- The nail depth is easily adjustable.
- Jam clearing is easy.
- The positioning of the depth setting dial isn’t convenient at all.
8. Stanley TRE550Z Electric Staple/Brad Nail Gun
Budget products are often the center of attention whenever you are buying something. But do remember one thing:
A budget option doesn’t necessarily mean that it has to be cheap. A budget product needs to show how much value can it offer in return for every feature in the product.
And we are happy to report that, the TRE550Z is one of the best budget options in this review. And that is not just because of the pricing.
The TRE550Z offers all the necessary features at a very competitive price point. When it comes to the build quality, it’s really not that spectacular. But thanks to the hard shell and good balance, it passes in the design category.
Other than that, all the necessary features are there. You have a decent nose design to reach tight spaces. Also, you are getting the low-brad indicator window to let you know when its time to reload.
Overall, it really is a nice option for the DIY users, especially who are looking for portability and are interested in doing lightweight projects.
- Heavy-duty design with flexible driving power.
- The portable design offers better maneuverability.
- The flush nose design can reach tight spots.
- Features anti-jam mechanism.
- Comes with a contoured grip for better handling and usability.
- The low-brad indicator window comes in handy when its time to reload.
- You need to grip it harder than some other available options.
9. WEN Brad Nailer
With value-oriented nail guns, there’s often the issue regarding the balance between performance and value.
But the brad nailer from WEN, surprisingly, makes a very strong statement when it comes to the overall performance per dollar aspect.
Let us elaborate.
Basically, with value-driven or budget-oriented options, you see a lot of compromises with the design. But kudos to the vendors for bringing out such a compact and sturdy design. For the price, we will say it features one the best builds for the price.
Apart from having a very decent build quality, this brad nailer also has a comfortable grip, which complements its small and comfortable design. Also, the depth adjustment wheel is a nice addition which offers better functionality across the board.
In short, this nailer is a very good option if you want to get started on your projects. All the new DIYers should obviously check it out, as it can certainly work as the best nail gun for fencing.
- Operates from 60 to 100-PSI (1/4-inch air inlet fitting).
- Features a lightweight body with comfortable rubber grips.
- The magazine features a 100-nail capacity with an easy release mechanism.
- Comes with commendable depth adjustment wheel for better usability.
- The 360-degree exhaust air vent is convenient to use.
- The gun misfires occasionally.
10. PORTER-CABLE PCC790B 20V MAX Lithium 18GA Brad Nailer
Its time for the best battery powered nail gun to showcase itself!
The Porter-Cable PCC790B Brad nailer is a wild card. We are saying so because the execution of this device is truly commendable.
Let’s start with the build quality. The design is very compact and lightweight.
Now you may wonder this:
This has to have the worst lifespan!
Well, that’s not the case at all. The outer shell is very sturdy. Also, the balance of the nail gun is really good. For this reason, maneuverability isn’t an issue with this nail gun. In short, for the price, the design execution is right on point.
Now comes perhaps the most noteworthy feature of this nail gun, which is the battery life. Now for a nail gun that shoots 18-gauge nails, you need to have some serious power under the hood. For that, having a pneumatic nail gun seems to be the best route to take.
Thankfully, the PCC790B packs a lot of power. And that power comes from its lithium-ion battery, which is, we must admit is really good. You can fire 1300-nails before needing a charge.
Overall, we are really happy with how this product turned out. You are not just getting various too-free operations, but the LED lights also help you out a lot to reach tight corners. So, you should certainly check this nail gun out.
- An ultra-portable option with convenient power consumption.
- Can shoot 1300-nails on a single charge.
- Comes with a 100-nail magazine capacity which has a quick-release mechanism.
- Features both the tool adjustment wheel and window, offering top-notch usability.
- The multifunctional dual LEDs give you the opportunity to work in tough and tight areas.
- There’s no carry case included.
Which gauge finish nailers should you own?
Gauge type or the nail size is a clear determiner of how your nail gun will perform. It is absolutely prudent that you pay attention to the nail gauge size. Otherwise, the overall performance of your finish nailer may not be as efficient as you may want.
These are the finish nailers which will shoot the thickest nails. Usually, with these types of nailers, you get a pretty solid performance for any sort of application.
As a matter of fact, solid surfaces and furniture are really easy to bind together with these types of nailers. Also, it is a good option for trimming applications as well.
These types of nailers are suitable for almost any kind of application, as they are a slightly smaller size than the 16-gauge nail trimmers.
If you’re looking for the best nail gun for home use, then you may want to get a nail gun with support for 18-gauge nails. These types of nail guns are particularly effective for installation and paneling.
Overall, we think it is probably the best nail gun for DIY users because of its usability factors. Do take note that they are much lighter and will offer better results when dealing with soft surfaces.
As you already have guessed, these are the smallest nails among the bunch. Whenever you’re dealing with light frames and furniture repairs, then you may want to go for these types of nail guns.
It is worth mentioning that these are one of the most appreciated options by DIY users because of their light weightiness and convenience.
Now, we would like to share a comparison table before jumping on to the review. A comparison table like this will allow you to understand the product and how it will cater to your needs.
How to choose a nail gun for your project?
When it comes to the best all-purpose nail gun, then there are several ways you can choose the right one.
But in order to make your life easier, here are a few tips which can help you make a better purchase decision.
We can assume that some of our users out there will want to find the best budget nail gun. And as it may not be the best option, it’s not a terrible idea at all if you’re just getting started. In this case, there are two things you need to take care of:
First of all, you need to be careful about how you execute. A good approach, in this case, would be to plan a budget and go from there. This will not only eliminate the obvious options but will also help you narrow down your priorities.
Then you need to think about sticking with a reputable brand. It is recommended for all levels of users unless someone is interested in doing various experimentation.
Depending on your use case, you need to keep a close eye on your power requirements as you narrow out your options. In general, you will find three types of options available out there.
- Pneumatic finish nailers can be one of the obvious choices for you. It’s because they’re not just popular in the community, but they also possess the power to adapt to any type of nailing tasks.
The only negative of this particular model is the fact that you need an air compressor to operate it, which is the primary source of power for these types of nail guns.
- Then you have the electric nailers, which are gaining popularity at a rapid pace. You have two types of options available here: a corded option which requires a nearby power outlet and a cordless option.
A corded electric nail trimmer gives you the advantage of uninterrupted working hours, which hardcore professionals tend to like.
But, for DIY users and some regular professionals may be interested in a cordless option as well, which will offer better portability and ease of use.
- Finally, you have the gas-powered nail guns, which are somewhat popular. But they often make a lot of mess because of the gas and oil requirements they have. So, our recommendation would be to avoid such options unless you really need to get going.
Type of magazine
One of the key factors while choosing the best nail gun for trim is the magazine type and size. Although most nail magazine size is related to your usability, the magazine type is something you should pay close attention to. Normally, you will find two types of magazines in the market.
- First, you have the coil magazines. As the name suggests, you get a coil of nail strips once they are stacked. Such options will offer less recovery time and more flexibility. Also, you can store a good number of nails before reloading, which is a bonus.
But the downside to such an arrangement is that it’s a bit too expensive. So, you may want to do a little more research before you make a purchase.
- The nail stack type magazine offers less maneuverability and usability compared to the coil magazine options. The reason behind it is the nail stack arrangement, which sticks out of the nail gun and requires more reload time.
The good thing is, there are nail guns which can hold multiple nail stack magazines. Also, they are more budget-friendly than their coil magazine counterparts.
Weight and size
As we mentioned it countless times before, the choice of a nail gun for trim will depend on your use case.
As far as usability goes, for hardcore professionals, we will certainly suggest going with a pneumatic nail gun, which has the power to adapt to any type of nailing task.
But for a worker who needs to travel a lot, a portable option may be more suitable. Portable and compact nail guns for trim are becoming popular day by day. They have also gained acceptance in the DIY community as well.
All in all, unless your work requires it, our recommendation would be to choose the option that works well with your working arrangements. But, for the masses in general, a portable nail gun for trim may be a good choice to start with.
Nail depth and nail jamming
These two things almost go hand in hand.
Nail depth is an important factor because it will give you the joining strength you need. For the most part, a feature like this depends on the brand itself.
A seasoned professional will know what to look for. But, when it comes to the general audience, a little extra research on the brand itself is prudent.
Nail jamming is very common in these types of situations. So, you will need to pay attention to the brand as to whether or not it has the tool-free jam clearing feature. Normally, most manufacturers have an easy and convenient way of treating such issues.
But you have to decide which one works best for you. So, the recommended path here would be to do your own research and find out the best nail gun for trim with proper nail releasing features.
If you’re thinking of buying the best brand nail gun, then you shouldn’t worry about the warranty too much. Typically, most prominent brands will stay by your side, no matter what happens.
But in case you’re looking for a budget option, then you may want to check the website of the respected brand’s website about their budget policies. This is important, as there will be several points which will indicate to certain things you need to consider before claiming your warranty.
But, in order to be safe, you should always go through the conditions which regard to the warranty claims, despite the brand’s reputation. This way, you will no the ins and outs of how you and when you can claim your warranty.
How to use a trim nailer gun: things that matter
A trim nailer gun, although a very convenient tool, is a bit tricky for most people, especially for novices.
So, we thought it would be productive if you gave you some tips on how you can use a trim nailer gun for yourselves. But we would ask you to take these tips with a grain of salt.
Firstly, we will only give you brief steps. The pointers will help you find out the best way to use your nail trimmers. Second, we can’t really digress from the main objective, which is to give you all you need to know about the best nail gun for trim.
- Dealing with nail blowout is the result of not using the nailer for trim in a proper angle. So, angle the nail gun properly to avoid blowouts.
- Be careful as to how close you nail near the trim. If you get too close, then you will have to deal with splits, which is annoying most of the time.
- We cannot emphasize more how important it is to choose the right size of the nail. Without choosing the correct nails, you will most likely end up with pretty mediocre repairs. Take note that small nails are particularly effective when working with the corners of surfaces.
- Don’t try and use underdrive nails. Apart from offering below par results, you may even cause damage to the surface you’re working with. So, be mindful of that.
- Finally, you will need specialized safety equipment in order to use nail guns.
Also, make sure to be extra careful and take other necessary precautions such as using clamps for better safety and, keeping your finger off the trigger when it’s not necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to nail Gun
We have almost reached the end of this review of the best nail gun for trim. But before we go, we would like to answer a few frequently asked questions. These questions may come to your mind whenever your shopping for a nail gun.
Question 1: Which is the best nail gun brand?
Ans: Depends on the user experience.
To find out the answers, you should first consult the vendors themselves. This will help you have a better idea about what you’re dealing with. Second, you need to read customer reviews from trusted sources, which will also contribute to your decision-making process.
Question 2: Should I go with a portable option?
Ans: If you’re a DIY user who is just getting started, then our suggestion would be to get to know what and how will you be working. If you’re not mobile most of the time, then an air-powered option should work just fine.
But for a professional who needs to travel a lot, a portable nail gun should be a wise choice. But, depending on the workload, the expert needs to decide which will work better.
Question 3: Air or battery, which is the better option?
Ans: Battery-powered nail guns tend to have less driving force compared to the air-powered options. But the battery-powered options tend to have better design and weight-balance, which many professionals appreciate.
As always, the decision depends on the project you are working on. But for regular experts who deal with light framing tasks, a battery-powered nail gun should be the correct option.
Question 4: Which type of nailer should I go for?
Ans: Coil nailers and strip nailers are both viable options. But the advantage with coil nailer is that it can hold more nails, meaning you will need fewer reloads.
But with the strip nailer, you will have a better weight balance, which is often a necessity when it comes to sensitive working scenarios. So, whether you are working with panels or furniture, depending on the magnitude of your work, you need to make a choice on which works better for you.
Question 5: Will an air-powered nail gun offer better performance?
Ans: Air-powered nail guns have a much better driving force than the battery-driven options. Also, they are more reliable for heavier workloads. So, in that sense, they are better than their battery-powered counterparts.
Question 6: What PSI ranges are available for operation?
Ans: For an air-driven finisher nailer, the PSI range varies from 50 to 160 PSI. But this mostly depends on the manufacturers. So, the operating pressures will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Q: Should I alter the nailer functions to my preferences?
Ans: You should never do this. Apart from the small adjustments regarding grip and others, you should refrain from altering any of the functions for safety reasons.
Question 7: How do I determine the value for the money?
Ans: Depending on the number of features and how they stack up against other products, you can easily determine how much value you are getting from the product.
Question 8: How do I claim my warranty?
Ans: You should probably visit the manufacturer’s website for more information. The warranty claiming rules may vary from vendor to vendor. So, it’s wise to talk visit the respective website or talk to the representative of a manufacturer directly.
Question 9: What is the easiest way to take care of a pneumatic nail gun?
Ans: There are several ways you can do this. But the easiest and most important task is to keep it properly lubricated. This will increase the overall usability and lifespan substantially.
Question 10: Which one is more dangerous? A bump nailer or a sequential nailer?
Ans: Researchers do claim that bump nailers tend to have double the risk of injury than a sequential nailer. So, you may want to keep that in mind.
Before closing this best nail gun for trim review, there’s one thing we need to remind you.
You should always be concerned regarding the safety issues while using a nail gun.
So, far we have shown you a lot.
But we did a minimal discussion on safety. So, keeping the safety precautions in check: like keeping children away from the workspace, keeping a minimal distance while using the nail gun, wearing safety gloves and goggles is something you should never forget to do.
With that said, we wish you good luck in finding the best nail gun. We will be happy as long as it suits your needs.