Do you have a car that may be old or new? If yes, then you’re in for different challenges. Your car might run more than 85000 miles without any problem, and then all of a sudden a gasket sealer can fall.
How does it feel like when you are on the run for an emergency and your car is pulling you back instead of moving ahead? This can happen without any notice and in most cases, your head gasket plays the role behind the misconduct.
Yes, I am talking about the blown head gasket, which happens every now and then. If you are dealing with cars, head gasket failure shouldn’t be an unknown term in your dictionary.
Top 5 Best Head gasket Sealers Comparison
|BlueDevil gasket Sealer|
|32 Ounces||All||Permanent||Check Price|
|Bar’s Leak HG-1||33.8 Ounces ||All||Permanent||Check Price|
|Steel Seal Blown||16 Ounces ||8 cylinders||Permanent||Check Price|
|ATP AT-205 Re-Seal||8 Ounces |
Up to 12
|K-Seal ST5516 HD||16 Ounces ||All||Permanent||Check Price|
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Head Gasket Sealer Choices in 2022
- 2 Some criteria to select the best head gasket sealer
- 3 Top 5 Best Head Gasket Sealer Review
- 3.1 1. BlueDevil Head Gasket Sealer- Best Head Gasket Sealers
- 3.2 2. Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL -Best Blown Gasket Sealer
- 3.3 3. Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket Fix Repair Sealer
- 3.4 4. ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle- Best Head Gasket Repair
- 3.5 5. K-Seal ST5516 HD Multi Purpose One Step Permanent Coolant- Best Gasket Leak Repair
- 4 What Is Head Gasket Failure?
- 5 Common Symptoms of Possible Head Gasket Failure:
- 6 How to fix head gasket Failure:
- 7 FAQ about top-rated head gasket sealer
- 8 Final Words
Best Head Gasket Sealer Choices in 2022
A head gasket sealer is also known as gasket sealant. It is an important part which separates the engine block and cylinder head of any kinds of vehicle. That means the head gasket lies between the engine block and the cylinder head.
The main job of a gasket sealer is to seal this joint and stop water and oil getting into these parts. It comes in the forms of paste, glue, spray, whichever compatible and helps to reduce the number of fluid leakages.
Some criteria to select the best head gasket sealer
When you select and finally pick the gasket sealer, you should confirm whether it is the best type or just average. There are some criteria below. If these are met, then you should buy it.
- The head gasket sealer should be super easy to use. So what is the easiest way to install the head gasket sealer to your radiator? Most of the head gasket sealers generally come with a one-step application in which you can just take and pour it in the radiator and add antifreeze afterward.
- It must be compatible with different kinds of vehicles such as cars, trucks, SUVs and other four-wheeled vehicles.
- Most of the head gasket sealer will take about 1 hour or so to settle down according to the formulas. But it depends largely on how big the vehicle’s radiator capacity is. That will decide how much you have to pour, and how long you will have to wait before the head gasket sealer heals and works. Because without giving it time to settle, you cannot drive your vehicle and do any kinds of operations.
- After applying, you should consider the average time for reaching the balancing mode. Most of the time, the repairing needs some time which is dependent on the level of damage. However, most of the time, for a severely damaged heavy vehicle a head gasket sealer is just a temporary fix.
- Compatible ratio with antifreeze products is also important. If the average matching ratio is approximately 95 percent, it will provide a great synchronization for any kind of vehicle engine.
We have spent more than 100+ hours to research and pick the right one for your vehicle. This article will be helpful for you to take an informed decision and select a product that will be a perfect match for your vehicle. Considering all the above issues, we have selected top 10 head gasket sealer based on features like quality, durability, and pricing.
Top 5 Best Head Gasket Sealer Review
1. BlueDevil Head Gasket Sealer- Best Head Gasket Sealers
Brand: BlueDevil Products | Model: 38386 | Item weight: 2.87 pounds | Package Dimensions: 8.9 x 3.5 x 3.4 inches | Folding: NO
If you are facing a leakage problem again and again, then you need a permanent solution to this problem, not a temporary one.
The Blue Devil Head Gasket sealer is one of the best gasket sealers that have the ability to solve the leakage problem permanently. It does not contain any kinds of unnecessary solid or semi-solid particles on it.
As a result, the engine radiator is totally risk-free and will not get harmed or clogged by using it. Not only this sealer is compatible with gasoline and diesel engines, but also it’s easy to use. It can adjust with vans, cars, SUVs, trucks, basically any kinds of vehicle engines.
If you want to repair the leak manually by removing the engine apart, it will take lots of time. But the blue head gasket leak sealer takes a very short time to repair the leak. Just pour it, wait for some time and you’re done. It has a success rate of over 95%.
The most beneficial feature of BlueDevil Head Gasket Sealer is that it can make a strong bond with alloy, aluminum, plastic, cast iron, all kinds of metals. That’s why it is very safe and sound for any kinds of vehicles. Also, it works great with a number of problems like Blown Head Gaskets, Warped or Cracked Heads, Freeze Plugs, Heater Cores.
BlueDevil Head Gasket Sealer Pros & Cons
This sealer provides immediate help with frequently losing coolants and steaming from the exhaust.
Using Instruction For Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer
- Before applying BlueDevil Engine Sealer on the engine the cooling system must have to be clean and free from grimes.
- Flush the cooling system using the bottom radiator hose. After that use BlueDevil Radiator Flush (or any other compatible flushing agent) and finally rinse with water.
- Fill the cooling system with water. The engine must be cold before starting the application process. Remove the radiator cap and start up the vehicle engine while cold so that it can turn the heater to maximum.
- Pour slowly. You can take 1 minute of pouring time for an entire bottle. After pouring slowly, wait patiently with the radiator CAP ON for 45 to 50 minutes. Don’t flush the system for a second time before the process is complete.
- Refill with compatible antifreeze after the test drive and let the engine cool before installing a new thermostat.
2. Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL -Best Blown Gasket Sealer
Name: Bar’s Leak HG-1 HEAD SEAL | Brand: Bar’s Products | Model: HG-1 | Item weight: 2.5 pounds | Package Dimensions: 9.4 x 3.6 x 3.4 inches | Folding: NO
Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL may not be the number one but it’s worthy enough to take the second place. It is a great alternative and replacement solution to BlueDevil, the one we just reviewed.
Now, you may think about which is the best? BlueDevil is the winner, but Bar Leak doesn’t fall far behind. Considering all the features of BlueDevil with the Bar’s Leak HG-1, I’d say that Bar’s Leak HG-1 comes with pretty much same features, making it a great alternative to the former.
Compatibility plays a big factor in choosing the perfect sealant for your vehicle. If your vehicle is using diesel, gas, racing engines and turbocharged with 4 to 10 cylinders at a time, then this coolant will work very well according to all considerations. This makes the Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL Cooling Sealant a great choice for a wide variety of vehicles.
Bar’s is a popular, established American brand that manufactures anti-leak products for cooling systems of any kinds of vehicles. The Head Gasket Sealer is one of the best products of them, which is intended and perfectly designed to repair damaged gasket head sealer. The sealer effectively resolves the leaking plug problem and perform other related tasks.
Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL is very much suitable for any kinds of vehicles which generally get overheated within 25-30 minutes and need a full-blown head gasket sealer. This sealer is perfectly compatible with any kinds of antifreeze, requires no flushing. It does not take more than 35 minutes to deliver a full and complete functionality for effective results.
Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL Pros & Cons
The amenities Bar’s Leak provides include repairing head gaskets, cracked blocks, intake gaskets, freeze plugs and cylinder heads. The heavy-duty formula also works on aluminum and cast iron heads & blocks, as well as sealing all kinds of engine cooling system leaks much better traditional sealers.
Using instruction of Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL Head Gasket
- An engine while cold is the best and perfect time to install gasket sealers. First of all shake bottle very well. Secondly, remove the radiator cap and maintain the dosage chart recommendation to pour the correct amount of product. Fill radiator with the proper quantity and reinstall the radiator cap again.
- Most of the cases the radiator cap may be placed on top of the radiator on the engine or mounted to a hose. You need to be careful so that the liquid does not overflow of the radiator tank.
- Make sure the turn heater on maximum setting. Now run the engine until thermostat opens. As a result, it will reach the normal operating temperature at that moment.
- After that, turn off the vehicle completely and allow the engine to cool. It should not take more than 30 to 40 minutes.
- Now, top off the radiator (add coolant as needed) and either run the engine at maximum idle (trying to ensure approx. 1200 RPM’s for vehicles with a tachometer) or drive for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, turn the vehicle off and allow the engine to cool for a final time.
- Finally, top off the radiator and leave the Bar’s Leak HG-1- HEAD SEAL Blown Head Gasket Repair in the system for a perfect and continued protection. Now, drive the vehicle as normal.
3. Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket Fix Repair Sealer
Name: Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket Fix Repair Sealer – 8 Cylinder | Brand: Steel Seal | Manufacturer Part Number: 8CYL001 | Folding: NO
One of the best choices for vehicle owners is Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket Repair Sealer. If you are in a dilemma about your vehicle and trying to find a head gasket fix for your 6 or 8 cylinder motors, then this is the impeccable product for your vehicle.
This Steel Seal product is more expensive than other products on our list. If you use it for once and if your vehicle engine is gasoline or diesel type, then you’ll be amazed by the performance it provides. This product has the ability to deliver a strong “seal just like a steel” effect.
Steel Seal Blown Gasket completely fixes up the broken heater cores, freeze plugs, blown or cracked head gaskets etc. You don’t need to know about the mechanical ‘know-how’ like an engineer. Just following the instructions carefully should be enough to reap the benefits.
We won’t say that this will work 100 percent accurately for you, but this product works for almost above 97% users. Unfortunately, it does not work if your vehicle’s defective mode gasket is too blown and beyond adhesive-fixing. For these situations, you’ll need to manually remove the engine and replace the gasket.
Does Steel Seal Head Gasket Repair work perfectly?
This is a very simple answer, yes. And it’s not just us who value this sealer. It has won different kinds of industrial awards and has a huge amount of repeat customers as well as their testimonials.
Although unlikely, but if the Steel Seal does fail to solve or repair your head gasket functional problem then you can contact their ‘after sales department’ for compensation. This commitment shows the level of confidence they have on their product.
Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket Pros & Cons
Best using instruction of Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket
- First of all, make sure that the engine is cold and remove the radiator cap. After that Pour Steel Seal directly into the radiator. Put the radiator cap back to its place and tighten.
- If you think that the vehicle is in perfect condition, then start up the engine and try to drive at a freeway maintaining good speed and 3,000 – 4,000 RPMs for 5 miles. After that, shut off the engine and check if the sealer worked.
- If you think that the vehicle is not roadworthy then turn on the heater at that moment and maximize fan. After that start, the engine, maintain the operating temperature and then run on very high idle (1,500 – 2,000 RPM) for 40 to 45 minutes. Now, turn off the vehicle and make sure it cools perfectly.
- Leave the Steel Seal in your system while you drive the vehicle as usual.
Read if you Like : As far as I can tell from my experience, and I think you will agree, top quality floor mats are also important for cars, jeeps, trucks just like a gasket sealer. Head gasket sealer is important for car’s engine, similarly, floor mat protect our car’s carpet from the filth of the muddy, dusty, snowy outside world.
4. ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle- Best Head Gasket Repair
Name: Steel Seal Blown Head Gasket Fix Repair Sealer – 8 Cylinder | Brand: ATP Automotive | Manufacturer Part Number: AT205 | Product Dimension: 7 x 4.5 x 4 inches | Folding: NO
This is a fast working and highly effective seal. And the most important fact is that it’s safe to use on all rubber gaskets and seals. It ranks number 4 on our list. You can use the ATP At-205 re-seal to stop leaks in your vehicle’s engine at any time. This allows you a quick fix and time to reach a mechanic safely.
The 8-ounce bottle comes with professional strength which is acts fast on your vehicle’s hydraulic system, differential functions, transmission, power steering, and engine.
Its exclusive formulation and pattern restore all kinds of dried out and worn seals. The most important fact is it deals with a wide range of damage issues to internal components and bearings.
It seals the small cracks in the rubber gaskets of gasoline engine vehicles. After about five hours of driving, any cracks should be fully sealed as the ATP sealant keeps working even when you’re hitting the road.
ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Pros & Cons
Effectiveness at stopping leaks in:
- Engines – For any kinds of diesel and gasoline engine.
- Perfect strength- Very fast acting as re-sealer, and stops leaks quickly.
- Complete power steering – Manual and automatic as per requirements.
- Usable with any kinds of conventional and non conventional oils, gear oil, ATF, best power hydraulic oil and steering fluids..
- Differential fact – Limited slip, locker, and conventional.
- It does not hold petroleum distillates, also will not break down seals and over-swell.
- Best hydraulic systems – Jacks, industrial equipment, plows (Don’t use in brakes).
- Rejuvenates all rubber seals & gaskets in engines, transmissions, power steering, differentials, and hydraulic systems.
It is made of AT-205, which is a plasticizer. It is widely used in rubber to provide flexibility as well as hardness. As gaskets or seals get older with time, they dry out, wear and gradually harden. Fortunately, treating them with this perfect solution will restore the sealing and all kinds of flexible properties. Even more importantly, rejuvenate it.
Read if you need protection: For protecting your cars and truck from the environment and UV rays, you can use ceramic polymer nanotechnology paint protection.
5. K-Seal ST5516 HD Multi Purpose One Step Permanent Coolant- Best Gasket Leak Repair
Name: K-Seal ST5516 HD Multi Purpose One Step Permanent Coolant | Brand: K-Seal | Manufacturer Part Number : ST5516 | Product Dimension: 5.9 x 4.1 x 1.9 inches | Folding: NO
Believe or not, K-Seal ST5516 HD has been perfectly proven itself to fix most notorious problems within a very short time. And to many people’s wonder, the time is 3 minutes. One of the advantages of K-Seal ST5516 HD is that it can blend very easily with any kind of antifreeze. The mixing capacity is so impressive, that very few brands will be able to beat K-Seal ST5516 HD in this matter.
K-Seal ST5516 HD can repair or seal leaks in Freeze Plugs, Cracked Heads, Heater Cores, and Warped gaskets. It also eradicates the trouble of tapping or flushing. This sealer saves your valuable time and saves your money, especially when you need the wallet fat and heavy in the midst of a panic trip or any other time.
K-Seal ST5516 Pros & Cons
Best using instruction of K-Seal ST5516 HD Head Gasket
- First of all, you should have to make sure that the coolant is at a proper level with the overflow tank. If needed, reduce the coolant level as lower as possible or bring it down to the minimum level before adding K-Seal.
- To keep control make sure the internal heater is HOT, and keep the fan running to ensure the coolant is flowing through the Heater Control. If the heater matrix is higher than the perfect point of the cooling system which is added. Then, as a result, the combustion gases will drift there potentially impeding the flow of coolant.
- Now, the vehicle must be kept idle for about 25 – 35 minutes, Make sure you do not take it for a drive. In reality, the engine back pressure is completely associated with Head Gasket issues. However, in general, keep the engine perfectly at idle position and allow adequate time for a K-Seal repair. If you feel the necessity to allow more time for the system to cool then repeat the process again to make an additional cold-heat cycle.
- After all, is done, leave the cap OFF the expansion tank and feel free to drive the vehicle as you used to over the next few days.
What Is Head Gasket Failure?
Head gasket plays a vital role in sealing the leaks between the engine and the cylinder head. It is too important to make sure that your vehicle’s head gasket stays intact, not blown. However, before we head into the consequences, let’s have a clear idea on what head gasket failure actually refers to.
Most of the time, the problem starts with engine overheating. This problem circles around rift, a leak in the head gasket and cooling system of the vehicle.
Usually, oil leak, crack head or damaged head may cause this overheating problem. Also the poor and under-performing cooling system of your vehicle triggers the head gasket failure. One of the popular solutions is starting to use a secure and perfect gasket sealer.
Let’s dig a bit deeper. Some car owners use acidic coolant which has lower pH. Using such coolant is never a wise decision at all. When you use acidic coolant it erodes the gasket adjacent to it, causing a leak between the coolants passing way and the compression unit. The result is being stuck with your car problem on the road. This head gasket failure is widely termed as “Blown Head Gasket”.
Common Symptoms of Possible Head Gasket Failure:
You may find head gasket failures at a dime a dozen. Yet, any negligence in fixing the problem can call for an additional penalty of thousands of bucks. Because, as we all know, a stitch in time saves nine.
After hanging out with a professional, we have come to know about a couple of typical symptoms, which will come very handy to diagnose and fix the common problems. Don’t worry, it is not rocket science. Let’s have a look at the indicators.
High Engine Temperature:
The most nerve-wracking problem is when the temperature becomes so high that it disintegrates the metal ring surrounding the piston of the vehicle. This can give any vehicle owner a real nightmare. Although a number of reasons are responsible for the high engine temperature, the most typical reason is a blown head gasket. So, it is important to dig deeper and match it with other symptoms of the blown head gasket as well.
Uneven poor engine:
If the vehicle engine becomes worn out and mechanically poor, there is every possibility that it is caused by a blown gasket. As a result, you may get an underperforming or irresponsive engine with unequal noise-ratio.
‘While Smoke’ via the exhaust pipe is another indication of Head Gasket Failure. Most of the cars are used early in the morning when the temperature is low. And you’ll see white smoke due to the condensation on the exhaust pipe. As condensation starts to dissipate, the smoke starts getting back to normal.
If the vehicles warming up still emit white smoke after 20 minutes of driving, then it’s a symbol that water could be making its way from the coolant portion into the combustion chamber.
As a result, you will not experience the usual comfort and the smoke color will be turned into white. So, it is high time you check the head gasket and repair your car as the shortest span of time.
Read About: Blue Smoke From Exhaust solutions
You may also notice a significant drop in your car’s coolant level. The reason working behind this is your leaking head gasket. Don’t believe my words? Consult with a professional, and you’ll find he is expressing the same opinion.
Coolant & Engine Oil:
If coolant and engine oil meet each other, this is not good news for you at all. It is a clear indication that there is a leak between the coolant passing through and the cylinder head. But how to confirm that the coolant got mixed with the engine oil? This is as easy as a pie. Pull the engine oil dipstick and check for the color and the smell.
If the dipstick smells sweet, that’s a strong sign that the sweet smelled coolant is mixing with the oil.
Also, if the oil dipstick comes with some visible milky rings, that also confirms the coolant and oil mixture.
The spark plug is another symbol of a blown head gasket. If you see tiny white deposits in your spark plugs, it probably means the coolant is burning in your combustion chamber.
A blown head gasket puts an extra pressure that causes and effects the radiator cap. As a result, the vehicle radiator tank might end up cracking and blowing the radiator hose.
Due to the high pressure, you may notice a good amount of air bubbles in the radiator. Nowadays, you will find a number of kits available online to check the air bubbles in the radiator water by yourself. If you see air bubbles to such an extent that radiator water looks like boiling water even when it’s cold, then your head gasket is most probably damaged.
How to fix head gasket Failure:
The head gasket is not something very costly. It is a simple rubber-like substance with a metal coating. The head gasket plays a very important role in the engine’s health and safety.
Although the gasket costs only a few bucks, sometimes the gasket repairing cost reaches sky for the car owners. Because the repairing needs disassembling the engine, which takes something between 1000 to 2000 bucks.
Doesn’t sound good, right? If you are a car owner, you already know this. If you don’t, just call a local shop and inquire for yourself.
If you are a DIY enthusiast and know the nuts and bolts of your car, then you can go for it at a lot cheaper price. It’s not the rocket science but just knowing the ABC of the engine is not enough too. You must follow the instructions and maintain the correct sequence to get the process done perfectly.
Now a question should be peeping on your mind. If the procedure is so easy, why would I throw my valuable bucks into the water by hiring a professional? I agree with you, yes, this is easy, but it is not a piece of cake.
Experience matters and that is why the professionals ask for a good amount of money. The modern four-stroke engine comes with cutting-edge technology. Sometimes it’s harder to detect the right position of the head gasket inside the engine.
Also, your engine is not a toy. Maintaining the appropriate sequence while assembling and disassembling the engine parts is also important and calls for years of experience. Considering the facts, the sum you’re paying is quite reasonable.
However, there is a cheaper solution which is also convenient for noobs. Head gasket sealer can be a very handy and ready to go solution if you suddenly get stuck on the way.
You will find a number of sealers on the market. The application process is rather easy. Just open the radiator cap and pour the sealer. The sealer will flow across the cooling system unless and until it finds the original leak. A good quality sealer will make sure your car is ready to run within one hour.
FAQ about top-rated head gasket sealer
Q1. Does Head Gasket Sealer Really Work?
Answer:Yes, it works. A handy solution and a quick fix for on the go situation.
Q2. Is the sealer a permanent solution for a blown head gasket?
Answer:It depends on the number of the leaks and the severity of the leaks. For minor leaks, a sealer should work just fine for at least 6 months. But in the case of major leaks, using sealer would not be a permanent, even viable solution. This type of leaks may call for a permanent replacement of the head gasket sealer.
Q3. My car’s head gasket has blown- should I continue driving?
Answer:Not at all. Mixing coolant and oil inside the cylinder will increase the engine’s temperature dramatically, which may lead to additional problems. You might end up facing a larger financial penalty for ignoring the problem.
Q4. I want to fix my blown gasket- Is it possible?
Answer:Yes, Possible. There are a number of well-known gasket sealers out there in the market. These work fine to seal the leaks within one hour. Working with them doesn’t even need huge expertise.
Q5. How long will it take to repair my blown head gasket?
Answer:Usually, it takes 2-3 days for a professional to permanently replace the head gasket. But if he is familiar with your engine model, he can do it in much less time.
It is apparent that replacing the head gasket is not always a wise, even cost-effective option. While your time is limited, you need a quicker solution. You might ask, will it be worth using the head gasket sealer. Ask yourself, is your time worth saving? Using a gasket sealer is always an affordable, time-saving, and handy solution. It’s dirt cheap while the head gasket replacement costs an arm and a leg.